Featured Post

Sunday, January 7, 2018

FAQ 5 My Grandma said

FAQ 5 My Grandma Said

For more interesting quotes see BrainyQuotes.com


I love quotes in books. My readers have said some of them gave a good giggle. In my novel, Murder@ the Black Mesa Cafe,  I use quotes to give my readers a taste of the next chapter. 

One special quote is from my grandma. Many of the quotes in my book come from proverbs my German Grandma Helen and my Irish Grandma Ruth would say to me. Things like:

Grandma Ruth
"Give it an Irish wash." Grandma Ruth meant turn over the kitchen rug so the clean side was up.


"We're lace curtain Irish." Grandma Ruth meant she had her own handmade lace curtains up to the windows instead of plain white shades like a lot of people in her neighborhood. Her father was French and mother was from Ireland and Wales. My Grandmother Ruth made delicate lace doilies, dresser scarves and other fine lace decorations. 


Grandma Helen Berta
"We get too soon old, and too late smart." Grandma Helen. Meant wise up especially to a kid or teenager when we were acting like little "know it alls". Her real name was Berta, but she hated it, so I knew her as Grandma Helen.


"Let's have a cuppa." Grandma Helen. Although she was German and Polish, my Grandma Helen had a ritual of strong coffee in the morning made in a white ceramic percolator and served in plain heavy white mugs, with a dollop of cream skimmed from the glass milk bottle. She made fine English tea in the evening steeped in a special lovely green china pot and drunk from delicate china with a slice of lemon on the side.




No comments:

Post a Comment